Friday, January 23, 2009

waking hour

Every now and then - whenever I happen to think about it - I make a quick visit to viennateng.com just so I can peek at the merchandise page and see if there's any new sheet music there. For the combination of her beautiful voice, poetic lyrics, and wonderful skill on the piano Vienna Teng is one of my favorite musicians. A few years ago all the sheet music I could find of hers - a grand total of three songs, none of them my favorites, but I figured I would take what I could get. They're incredibly difficult, actually, and I haven't mastered a single one of the three. This, I think, is partly because they're not my favorites, and partly because I just don't have a whole lot of patience for practicing the piano. I love to play it, but I don't practice much. I usually wish I could just sit down and play something pretty. Practicing would probably help with that... but the kind of repetition it takes to really drive a piece home can be bothersome to pretty much everyone in the vicinity. Plus I'm just not patient. :)

Anyway, I used to check her website a whole lot to see if any more sheet music would be released. I even sent an email to ask about it - never got a response, which wasn't unexpected. I don't check much anymore, figuring that the first three transcriptions just must not have been successful enough to merit investing in any more. So I was really surprised today when I went to the website for the first time in ages, and the first thing I saw was that her entire first album has been transcribed into a songbook. :)

I've been trying really hard to limit the money I'm spending on myself to just coffee - mostly - but that songbook has been ordered and should ship pretty soon.

I'm excited about it. :) There are some really good songs on this album, a couple of which are ones that I particularly wanted to learn - like the one I've just put up here, which I think is the first song of hers I ever heard. We'll see if that pushes me to actually make more of an effort to practice them. :)

No comments: