Friday, June 12, 2009

"People were always upset to hear someone like Alan casually saying things like 'easier prey.' "

It's unusual for me to have things I want to post on this blog and then not get around to it for awhile. More often when I don't post it's just because I can't think of anything to say. But I've been meaning to follow up on my post about The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan, since now I've actually read it and I did say I would tell you how it was.

It did not disappoint, not even a little bit. It was such a fun read, clever and witty while being dark and kinda scary with a main character who was violently angry more often than anything else. As I understand it, one of the ideas Sarah had while writing this book was to actually get inside the head of that dangerous, mysteriously aloof, and devastatingly handsome character you see so often in fantasy novels. Well, she did that, and she did an excellent job of it. It was really interesting to sympathize with Nick while actually empathizing more with all the people around him, whom he just couldn't understand.

She also did a really good job of slowly tearing Nick's world apart. I saw some of the plot twists coming, but their delivery was perfect. Especially the big reveal at the end. That one I sort of half-guessed, but the way it came out - the last line of that chapter - it really was stunning. And it was bold, too. I was very impressed.

In short, The Demon's Lexicon wins. That title, by the way, is so much more clever than I realized at first. I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel.

Is it next June yet?

No comments: